The idea of forming a Presbyterian Church in Fayette City originated with certain members of the Rehoboth Presbyterian Church who were residing in that locality. They were prompted to take this step in view of certain overtures made to them by the people of the Little Redstone Presbyterian Church to join them in one pastoral charge. There were difficulties in the way; the members of the church belonged to Rehoboth, and the building was held by the trustees of that congregation. These hindrances, however, were quickly and generously removed by the Session of the Rehoboth Church who, without waiting to be asked, held a meeting, and resolved to throw no obstructions in the way of the proposed organization, beyond giving official notice to the leaders of the movement that the church property in Fayette City belonged to Rehoboth.
Therefore, at a meeting of the Presbytery held at West Newton on October 4, 1871, “a Memorial was presented from twenty-two members of Rehoboth Church residing in and about Fayette City, who desired to be organized, with their families, into a Presbyterian Church in connection with Redstone Presbytery and requesting that Presbytery take such measures as are necessary to effect this object without delay.”
The Fayette City congregation originally met in an old church up on the hill. Then a house of worship had been built by the Free-Will Baptists and abandoned by them about 1860. In 1898, it was decided to build a new house of worship, and a building committee was elected. A lot of ground at the corner of Union and Second Streets was purchased for $1250. Ground was broken for the new building on June 15, 1901; the first brick laid and the first frame set on August 20, 1901; the cornerstone was laid on August 25, 1901; and the new church building was dedicated August 28, 1902.